Sunday, February 24, 2013

Goodbye Mr. Merwin

John Merwin was my favorite of the Field and Stream authors for many years.  His articles fed my passion for fishing and taught me a most important lesson: that it was about fun. He taught me other things too.  Each time I tie an improved clinch knot I remember his article that highlighted it; I was 10, it was July, and I was practicing the knot from the illustrations in the magazine that was spread out on a campground table.  The planted rainbow I caught a few minutes later couldn't shake that knot, and I've never used another.

Mr. Merwin's unpretentious writing worked as an antidote to the snobbiness I began to exhibit as I gravitated more and more towards making flyfishing my exclusive method.  When I found families parked with powerbait in my favorite spots, he seemed to tell me, "It's about having fun, Nick."  The pleasure he took from fishing with all kinds of tools increased my own, and I am forever grateful to him for teaching me this lesson.

I've saved every issue of Field and Stream since I subscribed.  While the snow melts, I think I'll revisit those articles by way of saying goodbye.  

May Mr. Merwin find that those golden streets are really sun-dappled river rocks. 

Thank you, Mr. Merwin.




No comments:

Post a Comment