Monday, May 27, 2013

Waters new

The first month of TBS is over.  I am now deemed a Rifle Expert, a Pistol Expert, and a Second Class swimmer by the USMC.  In addition, I have filled out at least a ream of paper verifying everything from life insurance to blood type.  In processing is over, and all that lies ahead is the meat and potatoes of training as an Infantry Platoon Commander.  In celebration, I bought a VA fishing license and the Quantico MCB on-base fishing stamp.  Rumors have been flying about a recent stock of the Chopawamsic with Rainbow and Brook trout and I thought I'd get in on that.

As it happened, the trout were long gone by the time I got to the creek.  The water was quite warm and slow moving, so I have my doubts as to how far upstream they got in the first place.  But I tied on to a dozen little sunfish and one quite respectable Crappie within a few meters of the car, so the day was quite enjoyable.

As cliche as it is, I am compelled to note that there is something indescribably restorative about being on the water - any water - with a fly rod in hand.  These waters may not have the purity of the high country streams I'm used to but they heal the soul all the same.  


No comments:

Post a Comment